By Peter Usman://
Twelve suspects have been arrested by the military over Saturday morning killings at Rukuba road, Jos North Local Government Area of Plateau state.
Media Officer of the Special Task Force, Operation Safe Haven, OPSH, Major Ishaku Takwa, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday in Jos.
Gunmen had attacked a convoy of five buses, conveying some Muslim faithful, killing 22 people and injuring 14 others.
According to the statement, “This morning, our troops swiftly responded to distress calls that suspected hoodlums blocked a Junction along Rukuba road in Jos North and attacked some commuters.
“Troops immediately mobilised to the scene and restored normalcy.
“Unfortunately, some persons lost their lives in the unfortunate incident, while others with varying degree of injuries have been evacuated to a medical facility for care.
“So far, 12 suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident and troops are on the trail of others, who took part in the heinous act.Those arrested are currently in custody for interrogation,” he said.
Takwa said the Commander of the task force, Maj-Gen. Ibrahim Ali, urged members of the public to volunteer credible information that would lead to the arrest of other suspects, currently at large.
He said the commander also appealed to residents of the area to be calm, law abiding and continue with their lawful activities without any fear of intimidation.
Takwa, however, said that security personnel had stepped up patrols in Jos metropolis to maintain peace and security.