By Benjamin Arida
As security agents in the country continued to work toward ensuring that criminal elements in the society are fished out, the Nigerian police have announced the re-arrest of four prisoners who escaped from the Oko Prison during the #EndSARS protests.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, made this known on Monday during a parade of suspects at its tactical unit in Abuja.
Recall that last month, armed men stormed the correction facility in Oko, popularly known as the Oko prison which led to the escape of some prisoners.
The prison authorities first had an an inkling of what was to come as early as 9 a.m. on the day of the incident and called for reinforcement, but none came despite two other repeated attempts.
Mr Mba while parading the over 15 suspects, said they were linked with cases of armed robbery, car theft, unlawful possession of weapons, illegal dealing and selling of weapons.
He gave the names of the escaped prisoners as Adebayo Opeyemi, Oloride Benjamin, Peter Osas, Hudu Musa and Frank Odion.
While Mr Opeyemi is a dismissed soldier, Mr Benjamin was convicted and sentenced to death and Mr Musa had nine months remaining to serve out his prison term.
He said the convicts have snatched a total of four vehicles since their escape.
Mba also stated that Mr Benjamin snatched a vehicle 30 minutes after he escaped from the prison because he needed to leave Benin City.